Thursday, March 10, 2011

the roads are lovely, dark and deep but I have promises to keep*

I left the house at 4:30am this morning.  I don't love getting up at a this miserable hour but I do love the bike ride.  I sweep down the hill outside my house and and the bike seems to pedal itself.

There are no cars and I experiment with riding in the auto lane because the grass is always greener.  Turns out the grass is smoother, better maintained, and has less glass over on their side of the fence. 

Every light shines on me with favor or triggers for me at the first blush of my approach.  Alongside the meadows of Stanford the air is cool and damp on my face, way better and fancier than any spa steam treatment you can buy.

It is quiet.  The sound of engines do not disturb the calm.  There is just the steady ruffling noise of the wind getting jostled to the side as I make my quiet way along the dark streets.



* apologies to Robert Frost

1 comment: